Schoolboy, 15, is found guilty of murdering father-of-three, 45, who was stabbed to death on his doorstep after he confronted gang who verbally abused his daughter and plagued his street with anti-social behaviour

  • Jamie Markham, 45, was killed in Chingford, east London on August 9 
  • The boy, 15, has now been convicted of murdering the father-of-three
  • He was also found guilty of possession of an offensive weapon
  • The schoolboy, who can’t legally be named, will be sentenced on August 26 

A 15-year-old schoolboy who knifed a father when he confronted him outside his home after becoming fed up with antisocial behaviour has been found guilty of murder.

James Markham, 45 was stabbed in the back, armpit and chest in east London on August 9 after confronting the boy – who had already been banned from the area by a criminal behaviour order which he had flouted before.

The boy, now 15, who cannot be named for legal reasons, will be sentenced on August 26 for murdering the father-of-three.

He was also convicted of possession of an offensive weapon.

The Old Bailey was told the area near Churchill Terrace in Chingford, east London, had become a hotspot for antisocial behaviour and Mr Markham was fed up with it.

The gang had been verbally abusing one of Mr Markham’s daughters before he confronted them, it was previously reported. 

Mr Markham died in August last year after being stabbed in the back, armpit and chest for confronting the boy, who had already been banned from the area by a criminal behaviour order which he had flouted before

Jamie Markham (centre), 45, was fatally stabbed in Chingford, east London. He is pictured with his wife Candice (right) and his 17-year-old daughter Chloe (left)

Stone mason Mr Markham, who was in his shed, grabbed a drill bit and went out to confront the group of youths after returning home just before 6pm in August last year.

He was treated by paramedics but was pronounced dead at the scene. A post-mortem examination later confirmed he was killed by a stab wound to the lung. 

A Metropolitan police spokesman said: ‘A member of James’s family saw a dispute but her view was restricted and she hadn’t realised it was James who the teenagers were arguing with.

‘James had approached the group with a drill bit in an apparent attempt to scare them off.

‘One of the group advanced, armed with a knife, and the pair began swinging at each other.

‘James was struck three times – in the back, armpit and chest. The latter injury pierced his lung and would prove fatal.

‘A member of the public who had tried to intervene came to James’s aid as the teenager and the rest of the group fled the scene.

‘James’s frantic family rushed down from their home to try to help him.

‘Officers who came to the scene first administered first aid but despite their best efforts, and that of emergency paramedics and members of the public, James died at the scene.

‘The teenager had dropped his mobile phone as he ran away and was quickly identified.

Police pictured at the scene in Chingford following the incident last August 

A police tent at the scene after Mr Markham was fatally stabbed in Chingford, East London

‘He was arrested on suspicion of murder two days later and made no comment in police interviews.’

Detective Inspector John Marriot, Specialist Crime, said: ‘James was a loving family man who leaves behind a partner and three children.

‘That day they were met with a horrific scenario that no family should have to endure. I hope this conviction will provide them with some small measure of comfort as they continue to grieve James.

‘The teenager in this incident was subject to a Criminal Behaviour Order and should never have been in the area. He had flouted it on a number of occasions.

‘The knife he used was never recovered, indicating he went to some lengths to try to distance himself from this horrific crime.

‘But my team worked to collate a wealth of witness, CCTV and forensic evidence proving his guilt. He will now spend a substantial amount of time behind bars.

‘I’d like to thank the skill and determination of my team in working to deliver justice to James’s family. Our thoughts remain with them.’

Source: Read Full Article