Prince Harry will not meet Queen for face-to-face Megxit talks due to Covid: Duke unable to fly to UK for 12-month review of deal to quit as senior royals after ban on non-essential travel
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stepped down as senior royals in January 2019
- The Duke of Sussex planned to meet with the Queen to discuss the ‘Megxit’ deal
- But ban on non-essential travel means the couple will stay at their US home
Prince Harry will not meet the Queen face-to-face for a 12-month review of the so-called ‘Megxit’ deal as the Covid-19 pandemic has brought a ban on non-essential travel.
The Duke of Sussex, together with wife Meghan Markle, quit as senior royals in January last year, with a review on their position set to take place on March 31.
Prince Harry, 36, planned to request a meeting with his grandmother in the coming weeks, but those plans are said to have been scuppered by the coronavirus pandemic.
According to The Mirror, royal sources say the prince has ‘not yet attempted to contact’ the Queen to organise a meeting – but a solution was expected to be arranged in the coming weeks.
It’s understood the couple want to increase the amount of time before a deal relinquishing their position becomes permanent.
Prince Harry is understood to have delayed plans to meet with The Queen, 12 months after he stepped down as a senior royal together with his wife Meghan Markle
The veteran of two Afghanistan tours is keen on retaining all military appointments, while Ms Markle, 39 remains a royal patron of the National Theatre.
According to The Mirror, senior advisers are alarmed at the pace the Duke and Duchess have signed huge financial deals.
Last month it was revealed the couple had signed up for a podcast deal with Spotify thought to be worth up to £30million.
It comes just months after the royals agreed a £100million partnership with Netflix and days after Meghan invested in a $28-per-pack oat-milk ‘superlatte’ business later promoted for free by her LA neighbour Oprah Winfrey.
Sources have told The Mirror that courtiers are taking a ‘renewed in-depth look at the couple’s business deals,’ to assess whether they fit with Her Majesty’s values.
One source told the paper: ‘There is undoubtedly a sense of unease over the pace at which they have entered the corporate world and the way in which they have conducted themselves relating to their various legal disputes.’
The recent deals will help the Sussexes in their pledge to become ‘financially independent’ from the royal family – following their decision to step back from frontline royal duties in January this year.
A review of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s position is due at the end of March, with sources claiming courtiers are taking a ‘renewed in-depth look at the couple’s business deals,’ to assess whether they fit with The Queen’s values
The couple have since bought a sprawling nine-bedroom and 16-bathroom mansion in upscale Santa Barbara, known as ‘The Chateau’ for $14.65million, making them neighbours with celebrities including Oprah Winfrey.
The pair are thought to have purchased the sprawling property, which sits on 5.4 acres of land, from a Russian businessman with a $9.5million mortgage after the price was knocked down by more than $10million.
Buckingham Palace declined to comment.
MailOnline has contacted representatives for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
Source: Read Full Article