A MUM has vowed never to drink a hot cup of tea around her son again – after her tot suffered horrifying burns in a café.

Carrie Doyle, 38, was on her way to playgroup with one-year-old Mason last month when she stopped for a drink at St George's Restaurant in Gravesend, Kent.

She said she parked Mason up in his pram as a waitress brought her a cup of tea – but moments later, the tot was screaming in pain.

The piping hot tea had spilled all over him, scalding his legs, hands and stomach – although no one saw how it happened.

Now, Carrie is warning other mums to be vigilant when around hot drinks, and has vowed never to drink one near her son again.

The mum-of-four said: "I was pushing the pram so a waitress said 'I'll bring it over' so I walked to an empty table with Mason and kind of parked him up at an angle.

Read More UK News

Mum’s ‘genius’ water bottle hack keeps her son hydrated during the heatwave

Mum’s warning after TikTok trend left girl, 10, with serious burns

"I bent down to him and I felt the heat coming off his clothes and that's when it dawned on me what had actually happened.

"I got him out of the pram and was screaming 'get him under water'. I literally threw him at the waitress behind the counter and she took him into the kitchen and put him in their sink."

She added: "I ran back to the table to get my phone to ring an ambulance and then ran back in and took over taking his clothes and nappy off. It was absolute panic.

"He was screaming, he was hysterical. He's always been really laid back and calm for a baby and he doesn't cry so to hear those screams was heart-wrenching."

Most read in News


Families run for lives after homes go up in flames on UK's hottest day


Fraudster who lied about having dementia on This Morning & stole £600k is jailed


Man killed in waterpark tragedy after 3 teens drown, as death toll reaches 13


Thunder & lightning brings 40C heatwave to an end after hottest day on record

The poor tot was rushed to Darent Valley Hospital in Dartford, Kent, where his burns were assessed, cleaned and bandaged and he was given pain relief.

He was then taken to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, Essex, where he faced a gruelling four-hour operation to perform a skin graft on the most severely burned areas of his legs.

But mum Carrie said things could have been a lot worse had it not been for an off-duty nurse who stepped in back at the café.

She said the kind passerby knew that Mason needed to be under the cold water for a minimum of 20 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes and made sure this was done.

Carrie said: "If it wasn't for her I don't know where he would've ended up. The doctors at Chelmsford all said her quick thinking and knowing those timings was essential.

Before this I never thought twice about having a cup of tea while he was running around but now I will not drink one in the same room as him.

"You just don't think it's going to happen to you but these things can happen in a split second.

"Before this I never thought twice about having a cup of tea while he was running around but now I will not drink one in the same room as him."

Surgeons used healthy skin from Mason's right leg to graft the burn covering the majority of his left upper leg, as well as another area of burn on the back of his right leg.

Thankfully, the operation was a success and after four nights in hospital the tot was finally discharged and allowed to go home to his family, on Monday June 27.

Mason had to return to the hospital for dressing changes every three days after his op, which has now dropped down to weekly appointments as his graft wounds continue to heal well.

Carrie now hopes to warn other parents and draw their attention to the Children's Burn Trust where they can get advice on burn prevention and rehabilitation.

A spokesperson for St George's Restaurant said: "The staff present that day were all deeply saddened by the incident and the trauma caused to Mason and the parents.

Read More on The Sun

I’m a shopping expert – I save £160 a MONTH on my groceries and you can too

Our street STINKS with rotting rubbish – collectors say they can’t empty bins

"The staff are thankful for the nurse that was present and helped them take control of the situation.

"We understand and pray that Mason will make a full recovery after all the surgeries he has undergone."

    Source: Read Full Article