A MUM suffered face burns after scoffing a handful of mini-fireworks she thought were sweets.

Lisa Boothroyd, 48, says she found the multicoloured box of Fun Snaps among the lollipops in Costcutter.

She chomped on some at home thinking it was popping candy — but they exploded leaving her in agony with chemical burns to her lips and gums.

Lisa, who also suffered a cracked tooth, said it felt like her mouth was “on fire” for weeks and she could barely eat or sleep.

She was prescribed strong painkillers and, a month on, the burns have healed but she is still waiting for a dental appointment.

Lisa, an unemployed mum of one, of Rugby, Warwicks, said: “The Fun Snaps were with all the other sweets.

“I just keep thinking what could have happened if I’d given them to a child — they could’ve blown her mouth apart.”

Fun Snaps have a tiny quantity of explosive inside twisted paper.

The friction-sensitive chemical detonates when stepped on or thrown on a hard surface, making a small bang.

The box reads “Fun Snaps” along with “Snap! Crack! Bang!” — which led Lisa to assume it was popping candy.

Costcutter said: “We have spoken to the independent retailer who operates this store under our Costcutter brand and they have assured us they will remove this item from the confectionery section with immediate effect.”

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article