Michael Gove blocks Marks & Spencer’s plan to demolish flagship Oxford Street store and replace it with 10-storey retail and office block
- M&S boss Stuart Machin said the decision is ‘utterly pathetic’
Marks & Spencer has been refused permission to knock down and redevelop its flagship shop on London’s Oxford Street after opposition from Michael Gove.
M&S boss Stuart Machin said the decision is ‘utterly pathetic’ and means the company will review its future on the historic shopping street.
The Communities Secretary launched a public inquiry into proposals to flatten the 1929 Art Deco building near Marble Arch and replace it with a much larger 10-storey retail and office block last year after the plans had received support from local authorities.
On Thursday, the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities confirmed that Mr Gove disagreed with the recommendation from inspectors to approve the plans and had ‘decided to refuse permission’.
The Government report raised concerns that its public benefits were offset by the potential harm to nearby heritage landmarks and criticised the environmental impact of the redevelopment.
Responding to the news, Henrietta Billings, the leader of campaign group SAVE Britain’s Heritage said the move was ‘hugely important’ and a ‘massive positive step.’
Grand Designs presenter Kevin McCloud and comedian Griff Rhys Jones have joined leading figures in calling for a public inquiry into proposals to demolish Marks and Spencer ‘s largest and most prestigious store on London ‘s Oxford Street. The 1930s Art Deco-style Orchard House is set to be demolished along with two other buildings that house M&S’s iconic flagship store (pictured above in 2020 compared with its planned replacement)
M&S boss Stuart Machin said the decision is ‘utterly pathetic’ and means the company will review its future on the historic shopping street. Above: How the proposal could have looked
Mr Gove found that additional storeys of offices would be more apparent than the current site and have a ‘significantly detrimental impact on the setting of Selfridges’ department store nearby.
CLICK TO READ MORE: The reclaiming of Oxford Street from the American candy stores: Small businesses are offered rent-free premises in London’s premier shopping district in bid to stop more sweet shops opening
The carbon footprint and failure to reuse some existing resources was also considered a reason for permission to be blocked.
Westminster Council originally gave M&S the green light to replace the store but Mr Gove then intervened last year. London Mayor Sadiq Khan had declined to intervene.
Orchard House was set to be demolished along with two other buildings that house the outlet.
In response, M&S chief executive Stuart Machin said: ‘After a two-year process where our proposals were supported at every stage, our investment in 2,000 jobs, building one of the most sustainable buildings in London, improving the public realm and creating a flagship store, is now effectively in the deep freeze.
‘Today the Secretary of State has ignored his appointed expert David Nicholson who recommended approval of our scheme.
‘When 42 of the 269 shops on what should be our nation’s premier shopping street sit vacant, disregarding the expert opinion and approval of the appointed planning inspector and playing to the gallery by kiboshing the only retail-led regeneration proposal is a short-sighted act of self-sabotage by the Secretary of State and its effects will be felt far beyond M&S and the West End.
‘The nation’s fragile economic recovery needs Government to give confidence to sustainable regeneration and investment as well as following due process; in London and across the UK.
Mr Gove launched a public inquiry into proposals to flatten the 1929 Art Deco building near Marble Arch and replace it with a much larger 10-storey retail and office block last year
‘Today the Secretary of State has signalled he is more interested in cheap shot headlines than facts and if it weren’t so serious it would be laughable.
‘We have been clear from the outset that there is no other viable scheme – so, after almost a century at Marble Arch, M&S is now left with no choice but to review its future position on Oxford Street on the whim of one man. It is utterly pathetic.’
Ms Billings said: ‘This is a hugely important decision that rightly challenges the way we continually and needlessly knock down and rebuild important buildings across our towns and cities.
‘Repurposing and converting buildings we cherish and saving thousands of tonnes of C02 in the process is a no brainer.
‘This is a massive positive step and we salute the Secretary of State.’
Simon Sturgis, SAVEs expert witness on embodied carbon at the inquiry and founder of carbon consultancy Targeting Zero, said ‘Congratulations to Michael Gove for a very important and influential decision.
The Marks and Spencer building on Oxford Street is seen in December 1964
‘This shows that the government is serious about the climate crisis and understands that real change is needed if we are to achieve net zero by 2050.
‘We must now progress with nationwide guidance on planning and building regulations to support this decision and deliver carbon reductions across the entire built environment industry.’
Geoff Barraclough, Westminster City Council’s cabinet member for planning and economic development, said: ‘The Marks & Spencer application had significant implications for the environment so it was right the case should be tested robustly.
‘The council’s position is to encourage landowners to refurbish buildings, not demolish them.
‘Clearly this is a disappointing day for M&S but we hope they return with a revised scheme which meets the new tests presented by the climate emergency.
‘Footfall on Oxford Street is improving and with our exciting plan for an overhaul of Oxford Street just launched, M&S can remain a powerful presence on Oxford Street.’
Source: Read Full Article