Sin City gets racy! Construction workers tear Las Vegas apart to prepare for upcoming F1 race, giving fascinating glimpse behind gambling capital’s glitzy edifice
- Pictures and videos have emerged on social media showing how the desert city has quickly been turned upside down in preparation for the event
- With the race set to take place in two weeks’ time, organizers have ramped up preparations for the event, which has included draining canals at the Venetian
- County officials had previously said that they would receive $100 million in taxes, along with an expected $1.3 billion in spending
Sin City has begun preparing itself for hosting its first Formula One race since the 1980s, with construction crews tearing the famous strip apart in preparation.
With the race set to take place in two weeks time, organizers have ramped up preparations for the event, which local officials say will bring in $1.3 billion.
Preparations have so far included draining the gondola area at the Venetian hotel, as well as the erection of temporary bridges for traffic.
Pictures and videos have emerged on social media showing how the desert city has quickly been turned upside down in preparation for the event.
In one video, the canals surrounding the ever popular Venetian Hotel have been drained – seemingly in preparation for the event.
Preparations have so far included the gondola area at the Venetian hotel being drained
The area outside of The Venetian is set to be transformed into a seating area for the F1 like the concept above
The video shows staff using large pumps to drain the popular canals that surround the hotel just a few feet from the strip.
According to a map of the race layout, this area is set to become The Venetian Zone, which will be a track-side viewing platform for guests to watch the action.
Meanwhile temporary grandstands are being constructed at the lake in front of the Bellagio, blocking the resort’s famed fountains from view, according to the Las Vegas broadcaster 8newsnow.
Construction in front of the hotel has brought and barriers to pedestrian access with lanes of traffic also being restricted.
Video shows temporary bridges being installed on the strip to attempt to alleviate traffic congestion.
The Mirage also told Insider that it had closed its famed volcano attraction until December 8, with steel fences situated outside the property also.
Besides this, plastic screens have also been installed over pedestrian bridges that cross the strip, to apparently block the video of the race course.
Screens on the bridge between the Wynn Las Vegas and The Venetian area already starting to be ripped down, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal.
With the widespread disruption due to the preparations, tourists told local station KTNV of their issues with the turmoil.
Karen Ritter who traveled to Las Vegas from Pittsburgh for the weekend, told the outlet: ‘It’s not fair, I feel like they should have waited a while to start this construction so that the people that are coming here can enjoy the actual experience of Las Vegas.’
According to Ritter, even walking around the strip was tough due to the constant construction.
With the race set to take place in two weeks time, organizers have ramped up preparations for the event, which local officials say will bring in $1.3 Billion
Vehicles pass a Formula One construction site at the Bellagio fountains on Monday, Sept. 25, 2023
Workers stand at a Formula One construction site at the Bellagio fountains on Monday, Sept. 25, 2023
She added: ‘Like everything is shut down right here and you’re looking over there and all you see is metal everywhere and you see orange pylons all over the place.
‘It’s kind of not what Vegas is about, you come here for glamour and this is a mess.’
Despite her issues, Kelly Haplin of Ohio told the outlet: ‘As unfortunate as it is, I think we’re bringing some more industry to Vegas, it sounds like some cool stuff is going on, it’s hard not to be supportive of it.’
Las Vegas Grand Prix events are scheduled for November 16 through 18, with the race itself happening on the final night.
Organizers say some 100,000 spectators are expected to attend the event this year, and will continue to run every years until 2032.
The last time the city had hosted an F1 race had been in 1982 when it was home to the Caesars Palace Grand Prix.
Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes driving on track during the Formula 1 Las Vegas Grand Prix 2023 launch party on November 05, 2022
The last time the city had hosted an F1 race had been in 1982 when it was home to the Caesars Palace Grand Prix
Clark County Commission Chair Jim Gibson admitted to 8newsnow that there was a ticking timeline on the Grand Prix from the start.
When asked if it happened too quickly, Gibson responded: ‘By any standard, it happened way quickly.
‘Once we got into it, it was obvious that the race was going to be a real challenge for us and the entire community.’
Gibson also told the outlet that it will be at least two years before he can say the investment was worth the disruption that it has brought with it.
In defending the project, the commission chair pointed to money the county is expected to receive.
The chair said the county would receive $100 million in taxes, along with an expected $1.3 billion in spending that he said ‘stays right here’ in the valley.
He added that around 7,700 jobs with a payroll of $360 million have been created or activated for the race.
Source: Read Full Article