More On:


St. John’s professor files suit claiming phony racism charges ruined his career

New York inmates can now receive the COVID-19 vaccine

School district sued over English teacher ‘who had sex in the classroom with two of her teen students’

Two NYPD cops want CCRB probe over 2012 Harlem shooting death tossed

An Illinois woman allegedly died after drinking contaminated hand sanitizer — and her family is now taking legal action against the company that made the toxic product.

Kayla Stagner, 32, who was an alcoholic, suffered acute methanol intoxication after she was believed to have consumed several ounces of Blumen Advanced Instate Sanitizer, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court in St. Louis.

Stagner, a preschool teacher who lived in Jersey County, Illinois, died at a hospital last May in her hometown of St. Louis.

A bottle of the sanitizer that was tested in connection with her autopsy was found to have “deadly levels of methanol,” the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

But the lawsuit alleges the active ingredient listed on the label was ethanol, which is used in alcoholic beverages.

“Methanol was not listed on the Blumen Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Clear label,” the suit said, news station KSDK reported.

Her family is seeking $75,000 in damages for her wrongful death from 4e Brands, which is the maker of the Blumen sanitizer, and Sam’s Club, where the product was sold.

The suit claims that the company should have been aware of the long history of people “drinking hand sanitizer containing ethyl alcohol as a substitute for liquor,” the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

The Blumen hand sanitizer was pulled from shelves last year after officials found it was tainted with methanol.

Methanol poisoning is known to lead to nausea, vomiting, blindness and death, especially in cases where it is ingested.

With Post Wires

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article