A GRANDMOTHER suffered a "violent and unnatural" death when she was attacked by a dog in her own home, an inquest heard today.

Retired nurse Shirley Patrick, 83, passed away in hospital 17 days after suffering "life-threatening injuries".

The pensioner sustained "traumatic lacerations" and "significant injuries" to her head, body, face and arms in the mauling.

An inquest was today opened and adjourned by Gwent Coroner Caroline Saunders.

Shirley's provisional cause of death was given as "sepsis caused by pneumonia and infected scalp wounds" following the attack in Caerphilly, South Wales, on December 3.

The tragedy happened just half a mile from a house where 10-year-old schoolboy Jack Lis was killed by another dog in November 2021.


Dog attack victim, 28, shouted ‘go back’ to bystanders during fatal mauling

Travel chaos as snow hits in freezing -10C blast – with more warnings to come

A 55-year-old man – believed to be Shirley's son Paul – was also taken to hospital with minor injuries has now been released.

Four people were arrested on suspicion of being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control and causing injury.

All have been released under conditional bail.

The dog, a large black XL bully cross cane corso breed, was seized by officers and has been destroyed.

Most read in The Sun


Harry 'felt less important than Wills when he was given less sausages'


Shocking moment fan KICKSAaron Ramsdale after Arsenal beat Tottenham


Horrifying moment Audi driver smashes into a motorbike in 'road rage' crash


11st dog in pack that mauled woman to death was on 'problem puppy' show

Police say their investigation continues and officers will be making further enquiries in the local area.

Detective Chief Inspector Matthew Sedgebeer said: "If you have concerns or any information regarding this dog and its previous behaviour then please do stop and talk with us."

Neighbours said "all hell broke loose" in the house before firearms officers, police and paramedics were called to the house in December.

Shirley's grandson had previously run a dog-walking business called Leeondogs from the house but had moved out before the tragedy.

She was widowed three years ago when her husband Dennis died.

Another neighbour said: "She's just a nice old lady who you see walking around.

"Poor thing to suffer like that at her age."

Source: Read Full Article