THIS is the first picture of the woman who has been charged with murdering a pensioner whose headless body was discovered two weeks after she vanished.

Mee Kuen Chong, 67, was reported missing from her home in Wembley on June 11.

Jemma Mitchell, 36, is accused of killing Ms Chong, and driving 220 miles  from London to Devon where she dumped her body. 

Mitchell, from Brent, North-West London, has been charged with murder and appeared via video link at the Old Bailey from Bronzefield prison. 

She spoke only to confirm her date of birth and name, with Judge Mark Lucraft QC setting a plea hearing for September 28 and remanded the defendant into custody. 

Ms Chong, known as Deborah to her friends, was reported missing from her home in Wembley, north London, on June 11.

But her body was found 220 miles away in woodland near popular holiday resort Salcombe in Devon, on June 28 by a member of the public.

Her death was initially treated as "unexplained" but cops confirmed this week they had launched a murder probe and made an arrest.

Police previously confirmed Mee was originally from Malaysia but had been living in Wembley for over 30 years.

They said her family have been informed about the development and are being supported by specially trained officers.

A post-mortem examination has taken place at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital last week but a cause of death has not yet been ascertained.  

Her death was initially treated as unexplained with the investigation led by Devon and Cornwall Police.

Inquiries by the force in south Devon and the London area led to a murder investigation being launched by the Met's specialist crime command.

Her family has been updated about the new development and is being supported by trained officers. 

Detective Chief Inspector Jim Eastwood, who is leading the murder investigation, said: “The discovery of Mee’s body is a tragic development and my thoughts are with her family and friends.

“At this stage, we are working on establishing the full circumstances surrounding Mee’s death and in particular her movements.

"I would ask anyone who saw her between Thursday, 10 June and Sunday, 27 June either in London or Devon, who has not yet spoken to police, to please come forward.

“It is absolutely vital that anyone who may have information about Mee’s movements over this period share what they know to help us fully understand what happened to her.”

A police source told DevonLive the body was found without a head.

Crime scenes remain in place at two residential premises in north-west London and in woodland in south Devon, with police searches likely to continue over the coming days, the Met said.

Anyone with information has been asked to call police on 0208 358 0300.

    Source: Read Full Article