We have made our live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic free for all readers. Please consider supporting our journalism with a subscription.
1 of 1
Hunt for Sydney man who ‘tested positive to COVID-19, failed to isolate’
Police have appealed for public help to find a Sydney man who they say has tested positive for COVID-19 and has failed to isolate.
An arrest warrant has been issued for Anthony Karam, 27, who police allege has “failed to isolate as directed by the Public Health Order”. He is known to frequent the areas of Greenacre, Wentworth Point and Parramatta in the city’s west.
Police have issued an arrest warrant for Anthony Karam, 27.Credit:NSW Police
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant issued a public warning statement, saying Mr Karam is infectious and poses a risk to the health or safety of the public.
“The community is warned to avoid contact with Mr Karam and not approach him,” she said.
Read more here
Victoria’s lockdown set to become stricter
Victoria’s lockdown is set to become even stricter on Saturday in a last-ditch attempt to control a coronavirus outbreak Premier Daniel Andrews warned was on the precipice of “spiralling out of control”.
The government’s most senior ministers met on Friday evening to discuss additional restrictions including the closure of childcare centres and the construction industry, a further tightening of the one-hour exercise limit and the reimposition of a regional lockdown after 17 cases emerged in Shepparton.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, pictured on Friday, is expected to announce tougher restrictions.Credit:Simon Schluter
Ministers expressed grave concerns about the virus leaking further into regional Victoria after a construction equipment supplier in Bendigo was listed as an exposure site.
Late on Friday evening, all community sporting leagues across regional Victoria were asked to cancel their activities for the weekend.
Read more here
Exclusion zone in place Sydney’s CBD as police crack down on planned protest
An exclusion zone will be in place in Sydney’s CBD from 9am to 3pm today as police attempt to quell an anti-lockdown protest which plans to kick off at Victoria Park in the inner city at noon.
Taxis and ride-share services are prohibited from taking passengers into the CBD while the exclusion is in place, with fines of up to $100,000 applying for individuals and $500,000 for companies.
Police speak to a driver at a checkpoint on the Princes Highway when a CBD exclusion zone applied last month.Credit:James Brickwood
Police say the prohibition notice they have issued applies to seven transport providers, “in response to planned unlawful protest activity at risk of seriously compromising the public’s safety”. Trains are also expected to alter their stopping patterns.
Assistant Commissioner Peter Thurtell said more than 1500 officers have been deployed to respond to the protest. Essential workers, and anyone who requires medical treatment, will be able to make their way into the city as normal.
“The transmission of the delta strain of COVID-19 presents a clear and present threat to the community. Now is not the time to gather in groups in protest,” Assistant Commissioner Thurtell said.
When this exclusion zone was first used last month, lanes of major arterial roads were closed as police set up checkpoints heading into the city.
The boundaries of today’s exclusion zone will be:
- Western boundary: City West Link and The Crescent at Lilyfield.
- Southern boundary: South Dowling Street and Todman Avenue at Zetland,
- Northern boundary: Bradfield Highway at Milsons Point.
- Eastern boundary: New South Head Road and Ocean Avenue at Edgecliff.
What you need to know so far
Good morning, and thanks for joining us for another day of our live coverage. I’m Georgina Mitchell.
Here’s what you need to know so far:
- Strict measures including a 9pm to 5am curfew will be in place for parts of Sydney from Monday, after NSW recorded 644 new locally-acquired cases of COVID-19 and four deaths. NSW has reported 10,582 locally-acquired cases since June 16, when the current outbreak began.
- Victoria’s lockdown is set to become stricter, with changes contemplated including altering the one-hour exercise limit. Premier Daniel Andrews said the Victorian outbreak – which recorded 55 new local cases yesterday – was on the verge of “spiralling out of control”.
- The ACT recorded 12 new cases yesterday, with one person in hospital.
- Australians have been urged to use a stockpile of more than 6 million AstraZeneca doses to get vaccinated, rather than waiting for expected future supplies of Pfizer.
- About 8.6 million more Australians will be able to start booking their vaccinations from August 31, with children over the age of 12 expected to become eligible from October.
1 of 1
Most Viewed in National
Source: Read Full Article