Last year, Boyle was announced as the director of James Bond 25. However a few months later a statement was released confirming he had left the project over “creative differences.” While it’s not clear exactly what the issue was – rumours abound that Boyle wanted to kill off Bond – the director has said he’s not going to attempt a mainstream franchise movie in the future after that experience. Speaking with Metro, ahead of Yesterday’s released, the 62-year-old Oscar winner was quite frank.
Boyle said: “I learned my lesson that I am not cut out [for franchises] otherwise you’re digging in the same hole.
“I am better not quite in the mainstream franchise movies, is the honest answer.”
Certainly, Boyle doesn’t appear bitter about the departure, as can be seen in his response to an Empire fan question on his reason for leaving.
The director said: “I learned quite a lot about myself working with Bond.”
Boyle continued: “I work in partnership with writers and I am not prepared to break it up.”
“We were working very, very well, but they didn’t want to go down that route.
“So we decided to part company, and it would be unfair of me to say what it was because I don’t know what Cary [Fukunaga] is going to do.
“I got a very nice message from him and I gave him my best wishes… it is just a great shame.”
He added: “What John Hodge and I were doing, I thought, was really good. It wasn’t finished, but it could have been really good.
“You have to believe in your process and part of that is the partnership I have with a writer.
“It’s like saying ‘Hey, we are going to give you a different editor…’ Those fundamental partnerships are vital.”
Bond 25 will be released in UK cinemas on April 3, 2020.
Source: Read Full Article