KARIM BENZEMA WILL play for France at the Euros, according to reports.
Only a week ago Les Bleus boss Didier Deschamps killed any hope the Real Madrid striker had of ending his FIVE-YEAR exile and said: "I'm not Santa Claus."
But in a shock turn of events, the 33-year-old will be back in the side, according to high-profile football journalist Julien Laurens.
He tweeted: "It’s now confirmed by different sources: Karim Benzema WILL be in France’s squad for the Euros this summer.
"More than five years after his last cap, Deschamps will call him back. Wow!!!!!"
The former Lyon man hasn't played for the reigning world champions since 2015 following his alleged role in a plot to blackmail Mathieu Valbuena.
Benzema is alleged to have been involved in a plan to blackmail the winger over an X-rated video on his mobile phone.
The striker is claimed to have acted as a middle-man, convincing Valbuena to deal with the blackmailers himself – with the now-Olympiacos man, 36, instead going to police.
Benzema’s lawyer, Sylvain Cormier, maintained the striker’s innocence in 2015, saying: “He played no part, I repeat no part, in any blackmail or attempted blackmail.”
The forward will reportedly go on trial in October, and many – including Arsenal legend and fellow Frenchman Arsene Wenger – had called for him to be recalled to the national team for Euro 2020.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE
WIN £50,000 with Dream Team Euros
Dream Team Euros is HERE!
The best fantasy football game to accompany Euro 2020 has arrived.
And you can play absolutely FREE for your chance to win the £50,000 jackpot.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR FREE!
Dream Team Euros
- £50,000 jackpot
- The best fantasy football game this summer
- Play in mini-leagues against your mates, colleagues, family members – and some hand-picked celebrities
- FREE to play
But Deschamps was quick to quash such suggestions in an interview with Kicker.
Asked if he had any plans to include Benzema in his squad, the 52-year-old said: "I am not Santa Claus, I am not here to announce surprises.
"I am refining it little by little, I have players who, like [Corentin] Tolisso at Bayern, are still recovering, and I still do not have all the information about their status.
"I will release my list of players on May 18, but there will also be games after that. I will have players who will participate in the two finals of the European Cups.
"We have to hope that everything goes well, because unfortunately we cannot avoid the unexpected.
"The only list that matters is the one we send to UEFA on June 1 at midnight."
Earlier this month, Rio Ferdinand revealed Sir Alex Ferguson was so desperate to sign Benzema he had to be pulled away from him.
The legendary Manchester United boss approached the Real Madrid striker when he was still at Lyon and officials from the Ligue 1 side were forced to intervene.
⚽ Read our Football live blog for the very latest news from around the grounds
Source: Read Full Article