After a controversial Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruling was handed down earlier this month, the South African Ministry of Sports announced that Athletics South Africa (ASA) plans to fight back. In a statement on Monday, the ministry offered an update to the Caster Semenya ruling, arguing that two of the arbitrators were "conflicted" and that the decision ultimately ignored scientific evidence.
"The strength of scientific, medical and legal case we presented, we believe, the outcome is inconceivable on the fact," the Sports Ministry’s statement said. "The facts before court and the outcome do not match."
On May 1, CAS ruled that Semenya and other non-male athletes with higher than average testosterone levels would have to medicinally suppress that hormone in order to compete in races for women athletes, BuzzFeed News reports. The ruling upheld a rule put in place by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), which oversees track events. Semenya has made clear that she does not intend to take such medication, and said she felt targeted by the rule.
“I know that the IAAF’s regulations have always targeted me specifically,” Semenya said in a statement, according to NPR. “For a decade the IAAF has tried to slow me down, but this has actually made me stronger. The decision of the CAS will not hold me back. I will once again rise above and continue to inspire young women and athletes in South Africa and around the world.”
More to come…
Source: Read Full Article