THE Queen is set to miss the State Opening of Parliament for the first time in 59 years tomorrow, The Sun can reveal.
Her Majesty, 96, made the tough decision not to attend due to her difficulties walking, this afternoon.
Prince Charles, 72, is set to stand in for his mother at Parliament, following a conversation between the Queen and her aides.
Plans to drive the Queen 26 miles from her Windsor Castle home to Westminster, and use a lift to get into Parliament for the televised event, have now had to be scrapped.
She had been set to wear a day dress without the heavy Imperial State Crown as she has done before.
Prince William will attend alongside his father.
Read more on the Queen
Inside the Queen’s ‘doting’ relationship with her grandchildren
Home movies show Queen sharing touching moments with her family in 1946
Buckingham Palace was set to wait until Tuesday morning to make the decision but changed their minds today.
This is the first time in 59 years that the Queen has failed to attend the State Opening of Parliament.
The only two times that the Queen hasn't opened Parliament during her reign were in 1959 and 1963 when she was pregnant with Prince Andrew and Prince Edward respectively.
On both occasions, the Lord Chancellor read the speech on her behalf.
Most read in Fabulous
BYE BYE BABY
I was a surrogate to twins but their parents didn’t pick them up
BYE BYE BABY
I'm a Domino's employee – there's one pizza that we use 'scrap' toppings for
My ex fed vegan daughter McNuggets behind my back & now she's demanding meat
I bought the viral Zara dress, I’ve got tiny boobs & they were spilling out
In 2020, there was no State Opening due to the December 2019 General Election, as well as the Covid pandemic and national lockdown.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "The Queen continues to experience episodic mobility problems, and in consultation with her doctors has reluctantly decided that she will not attend the State Opening of Parliament tomorrow.
"At Her Majesty’s request, and with the agreement of the relevant authorities, The Prince of Wales will read The Queen’s speech on Her Majesty’s behalf, with The Duke of Cambridge also in attendance."
Today's shock decision raises fresh fears over whether she will appear at her four-day Platinum Jubilee in less than four weeks' time.
The Prince of Wales will read The Queen’s speech on Her Majesty’s behalf, with The Duke of Cambridge also in attendance
It is a fresh setback for the Queen ahead of her Platinum Jubilee in June.
The Palace is "pacing" her diary and she is not expected to attend all the events during the four-day Bank Holiday marking her 70 years on the throne.
Royal aides were prepared for the possibility that Her Majesty might pull out, and her son Charles' diary was kept clear just in case.
The Queen has been forced to pull out of a string of major engagements recently due to ailments said to be affecting her back, hips and knees.
Last month the Queen pulled out of an Easter event at St George's Chapel in Windsor.
For the first time, Charles and Camilla took her place at the Mandy Day church service, an annual fixture in the royal calendar.
The Queen has been forced to pull out of several recent engagements following a number of health scares including a battle with Covid.
She missed March's Commonwealth Day ceremony due to concerns about her “comfort”.
The Sun first revealed last October that she spent a night in hospital after pulling out of a two-day trip to Northern Ireland.
She was forced to cancel appearances including the G20 summit in Glasgow and on the morning of Remembrance Sunday, stayed at Windsor Castle due to a back sprain.
The Head of State has also been seen using a walking stick over the last six months and in February told a visitor at Windsor Castle: “As you can see, I can’t move.”
But in March, Her Majesty received a £62,000 golf buggy to help her get around and fulfil future engagements.
And she walked unaided at a memorial service to her late husband Prince Philip on March 29.
Read More on The Sun
Nick Cave’s son Jethro dies aged 31 – second tragedy to hit family in 7yrs
I got naked for Gazza, it was the best experience of my life, says stripper
The monarch had strolled arm-in-arm with her "favourite" son Prince Andrew as the thanksgiving service began at Westminster Abbey.
But once she reached the end of the aisle, she detached herself from Andrew's elbow and confidently made the last few steps alone.
Source: Read Full Article