I’m A Celebrity ‘is under threat’ as Wales says it will BAN people from COVID-19 hotspots in England travelling across the border from Friday
I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! is said to be under threat as the First Minister of Wales intends to ban people from Covid-19 hotspots in England from crossing the border.
Mark Drakeford announced the move and put the blame for the action squarely on Boris Johnson, saying the PM had ignored two letters requesting he introduce travel restrictions in areas of England with high case rates.
According to The Sun, I’m A Celebrity bosses are monitoring the situation closely since the show has relocated to Wales this year in the wake of the pandemic.
Threat: I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! is said to be under threat as the First Minister of Wales intends to ban people from Covid-19 hotspots in England from crossing the border
A spokesperson for ITV told MailOnline: ‘I’m A Celebrity continues to adhere to all relevant guidelines as well as our own strict Covid protocols.’
There were immediate questions about how the measure, due to come in from 6pm on Friday, can possibly be enforced.
Police commissioners in Wales suggested they could set up road blocks and follow up tips from the public. However, they have admitted there is not the capacity to ‘line the border with patrol cars’.
Critics also warned that the policy could deal a hammer blow to the tourism industry in Wales, already reeling from the impact of the pandemic.
Ban: Mark Drakeford announced the move and put the blame for the action squarely on Boris Johnson, with I’m A Celebrity set to film in Gwrych Castle
Most people in Wales are unable to leave the country without a ‘reasonable excuse’ such as work which could make it impossible for celebrities to travel to take part in the show.
Producers are said to be concerned ongoing restrictions amid the pandemic could make filming impossible, particularly if Boris Johnson were to implement stricter rules.
It comes after the iconic I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! telephone box has arrived on set at Gwrych Castle ahead of the relocated 2020 series.
The famous phone booth, usually found overlooking the camp in the Australian jungle where the show normally takes place, landed safe and sound at the new Welsh location, splattered with mud as always.
Delivery: The iconic I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! telephone box has arrived on set at Gwrych Castle ahead of the relocated 2020 series
The prop is used on the show for campmates to win treats by answering a question during the Dingo Dollar challenges.
Earlier this month it was claimed crew members had to spend a weekend drying out Gwrych Castle after it became flooded when it was battered by torrential rain.
Aerial shots released recently showed that the building appears to have finally dried out as work is once again underway as of Sunday, after the brutal weather led to some damage to the Abergele castle in North Wales.
While the weather appears to have gotten better, contestants are likely to have a tough three weeks ahead of them during their stay as more bad weather has been predicted for the area.
Waterlogged: Earlier this month it was claimed crew members had to spend a weekend drying out Gwrych Castle after it became flooded [pictured: co-hosts Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly]
A huge crane and various crew vehicles are also still on site as the production team continue to work hard to get the new set ready in time for a November air date.
An array of large tents have been set up along the perimeter of the set, which seemed to be a good spot for staff to hide away if the weather took another turn for the worse.
While the studio area remained covered for when the show begins filming, the castles many turrets and halls are still uncovered despite the recent floods.
In the town of Abergele the residents appear to be very excited for the show to start shooting, as several pub and shop windows were adorned with welcome signs to contestants and co-hosts Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, including a display that featured inflatable kangaroos.
According to The Sun, parts of the new set at the castle were left soaked and the crew spent much of the weekend trying to get the place back in shape.
A source said: ‘The crew are working around the clock as it is. But because of the dreadful weather they spent much of the weekend trying to remove standing water from areas of the building’
A source said: ‘The crew are working around the clock as it is. But because of the dreadful weather they spent much of the weekend trying to remove standing water from areas of the building.
‘They’re now trying to work out a way to make sure that, if there’s bad weather when the show airs in November, it doesn’t affect filming.
‘The jungle set was fine when it rained as there was natural drainage and streams. But an ancient castle with no proper piping systems is a whole different story.’
The source added that the torrential rainfall has turned into a ‘headache’ for the crew trying to get the castle ready in time for the celebrities to move in.
A representative for I’m A Celebrity declined to comment when contacted by MailOnlie.
In for the long haul? I’m A Celebrity could be filmed in the UK for two years if coronavirus travel restrictions remain in place, it has been claimed
Source: Read Full Article